Monday, April 20, 2015

So nice chatting with you

In Texas we call this a "hateful redneck".
This is what happens when you try to defend yourself. This is from the blog run by Deidre Saoirse Moen, who advocates No Award for the Hugos this year.
---
Lou Antonelli says
April 19, 2015 at 3:45 pm
I accepted Sad Puppies support, I admit, but I had nothing to do with Rabid Puppies. How can you tell people not to read my works without knowing me or my writing?
Strikes me as unfair. I nominated my own entries, and I’ll vote fairly and not boycott anyone sight unseen.

Deirdre says
April 19, 2015 at 4:22 pm
Where did I say no one should read your work? Nowhere. I have said that I intend to at least try to read slate works—but only after voting closes.
If you accepted being a part of a slate, you are part of the problem. (And are on permanent comment moderation here.)

Lou Antonelli says
April 19, 2015 at 5:41 pm
Well, I of course, disagree. But your mind is made up. No use to talk about it, I guess.

Deirdre says
April 19, 2015 at 5:52 pm
I’ve been active in fandom, helping run conventions, since 1977. I’ve been involved in Worldcon fandom since 1984, though there were quite a few years between then and 1999 when I wasn’t attending.
You seem to think the sad puppy slate is acceptable behavior.
I feel sad for you that you believe that is ethical, moral, desirable, or that it will win you any meaningful favors. Had you been in the room (as I was) at Eastercon when the names were announced, you’d have heard the reaction. Felt the anger.
Because, you know what? You and your best buds don’t get to buy your way into Worldcon fandom and tell people they have to read your books.
You may be able to buy a Hugo Award this year. Doubtful, but possible.
You can’t buy our respect, though, and respect is what made the Hugos meaningful.
With that, I’m kicking you off my blog. You can come back when you’re ready to join polite society.
---
Apparently "Deidre Saoirse Moen" is Gaelic for "Not all the Nazis are in Germany".

5 comments:

  1. Man. This whole kerfuffle has gone to far. Good luck to you and everyone nominated this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:58 PM

    Ha! Cut to the bone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Antonelli,

    I thought of your exchange here when I read this on Deirdre Saoirse Moen's blog:

    "I believe shunning is evil, where shunning is defined as person A trying to encourage person B not to communicate with person C else sanctions will occur. I belonged to a cult that did shunning (Scientology) and I’m over it."

    Maybe she's not as over it as she thinks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deidre Moen is owed a debt in that she brought the evil of MZB to wide attention. That cannot have been easy.

    To give my two cents on the exchange here: neither of you are coming off great. You were unclear on the difference between reading your work ever, and reading it as part of consideration for this award. She was (and is) playing next-level Twister over what constitutes a "slate" and whether it's bad.

    And then you went Godwin. Calling her a sleek, well-marbled mustelid might have worked better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm constantly surprised when these people type things like "You and your best buds don’t get to buy your way into Worldcon fandom" and their keyboards don't spontaneously burst into flame from the pure, concentrated hypocrisy. Like, weapons grade hate right there.

    It's my pleasure to jam a stick in the spokes of her little red tricycle.

    ReplyDelete

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...